Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

3 Firefox add-ons you must consider

I switched to Firefox four years back, when I was using Internet explorer 6. Firefox was incomparably awesome. I have heard that IE 8 is a good competitor for Firefox; but I still think that Firefox rocks because of thousands of add-ons that are available free of cost and add so much utility to Firefox. I don't use add-ons indiscriminately; my home pc has only 6 Firefox add-ons installed. Here are some that I will highly recommend you to consider.

1. Add block plus(ABP): The ultimate add-on that saves you a lot of bandwidth by blocking adds on each site. I just don't understand why don't they ship it with the browser itself.

Cons: It blocks all the auto-loading of all flash files. So you have to do one more click to see your flash animation. Please don't hit me, if ABP breaks one of your favorite site. Just disable ABP, and try reloading the site.

2. Autofill forms: I have just started to use this one, and I am amazed by the time this add-on can save to me. It tries to fill out form fields for me, so that registering on new sites is damn easy. This feature also comes with Google toolbar, but I don't like adding toolbars.

3. Leech Block: If you are like me, then you must be cursing yourself at the end of the day for wasting time on sites like social networking, news sites etc. I can't control myself, but leech block can remind me to do so. Leech block is like a timely parental block to site specific surfing.
For example, if you want to limit your time wasted on Facebook to 30 min, just tell Leech block to do so. Leech block will just block Facebook after 30 min have been spent. You can access it again for 30 min next day.

4. Delicious: Sorry! I promised 3, but here's one more that I can not miss. When I started working accessing internet from both work and home keeping a track of bookmarks was a disaster. Then God gifted me with this add-on. (This bookmarking tool is better than Google bookmarks; and when something is better than Google's solution then it must be a gift from God.) This add-on can synchronize your Firefox bookmarks to your delicious account and then you can access all your bookmarks from any Firefox--that has a delicious add-on installed-- with a single click. And yes, you can always visit delicious website in case your Firefox does not have this add-on installed.

The list can go on, but if you allow me to suggest one more it will be Greasemonkey which allows customizing websites using your own javascript. (Warning: don't try much of this if you do not understand what javascripts can do.)

Happy surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment